Friday, October 16, 2009

Hamburger Hot Pot

Colder weather and casserole comfort foods seem to go together. I've been reading this recipe for Hamburger Hot Pot over and over. I found it in "Crock-Pot Slow Cooker Cuisine by Rival". Today I finally tried it. The combination of the seasonings, ground beef, onions, potatoes and soup just sounded so good to me. Of course, I made the usual changes including extra lean ground beef, lower sodium salt and Mrs. Dash garlic & herb seasoning. I couldn't find a lower sodium or fat-free golden mushroom soup, so I just had to use the regular version. Ground turkey could also be used in place of the ground beef. We liked it, but next time I'll use round steak cut in cubes and cream of mushroom soup. The original recipe called for three onions, which I thought was excessive. I just used one and a half.

Hamburger Hot Pot


Hamburger Hot Pot

1-1/2 pounds ground chuck or lean ground beef
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
3 medium onions, sliced
1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed golden mushroom soup
1/2 cup water

In skillet, lightly brown ground beef; drain well. Add garlic powder, salt and pepper; set aside. Place half the potatoes and half the onions in greased Crock-Pot. Add browned beef. Top with remaining potatoes and onions. Combine mushroom soup and water; spread over top, being sure to moisten and cover evenly. Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High for 3 to 4 hours. Serves 4 to 6.

Nutritional Value Per Serving: Calories 443, Fat 21 gm, Sodium 999 mg, Protein 28 gm, Carbohydrate 35 gm, Cholesterol 82 mg

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't had this in years. My mom use to make it but used onions plus Lipton onion soup mix, and used beef broth instead of Cream of Mushroom soup. We've never seen this recipe before, but it also looks good. She got her recipe about 25 years ago in her high school cooking class and it's also called Hamburger Hot Pot. Great reminder, I'm going to make this soon!

Unknown said...

Have you tried it with any other soup other than mushroom? I totally detest mushroom soup. Wonder if cream of celery or cream of chicken would work well...hmmmm

Patty Albertson said...

Heather I haven't tried any other soup with this recipe. I'm sure that either of the two would work fine. I change ingredients all the time if there's something I don't care for in a recipe. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

The recipe calls for "golden mushroom soup" which is not a cream soup. I am going to give it a try and follow the recipe. I wonder if beef consume soup would be good to use instead of the golden mushroom soup.

Patty Albertson said...

If you experiment with the beef consume soup, let me know how it turns out!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you could use cream of celery. I use it a lot of times if I do not have the mushroom for different recipes

Anonymous said...

No. They are two totally different types of soup.

Anonymous said...

I haven't made this, but have made baked round steak smothered in golden Mushroom soup and it is delicious...no gravy needed....I am sure this would be good also for the GOLDEN Mushroom soup makes the difference, taste nothng like regular mushroom soup...my Mom used to make this in an electric fry pan (the go to before crock pots) in the 50's...am making out my grocery list so will be adding this! Good over mashed potatoes and served with buttered top bake pull apart bread, in your grocer's bread section.

Anonymous said...

I would try French Onion Soup it would be the closest to Golden Mushroom with out the mushrooms. Just and idea.

09 10